Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Baby, a Two Year Old +2 on a Motorcycle: Life in a Primitive Village: More Tales from the Mountaintops and Valleys Below

Here's a photo of how we 4 got around. This one is taken in Kathmandu soon after Jenny's birth. Bill built the back seat for Jonathan. You can see that helmet laws were not nonexistent, much less infant seats and protection, in a town with only one traffic light while we were there.



Here’s a word from my journal about Jonathan:
He is more active than any two year old we know. He’s creative and has an imagination that stupefies us. He perceives relationship and has quite good coordination and energetic daring. He can be terribly obnoxious or enchantingly charming. He loves games, but is not particularly interested in books yet. Dr. Seuss is his favorite though. He’s completely lovable.
And he still loved and cared for his sister!


The next season in the village continued eventful. The plane ride in our little Cessna was very bumpy. My journal says: "Jon and I prayed together before the plane took off. Then as soon as we were in the air Jon wanted to pray again--this time to ask Jesus to make the plane go down!"

Before we returned to the village we needed to have had a new roof put on the house. But it was not complete on our arrival. 
We had asked the Lord to hold the rain until the roof was on. The first night we slept under the stars. A 5 minute sprinkle dampened us in the middle of the night-but that was all. They finished the peak of the roof the next day around 7 p.m.. At 11 the most violent storm we’ve seen in a year began. It was deafening and scared Jon silly—but my how we praise Him. He told us, “I care. I care so very much for you.
I was learning lots about village life from the women in the village. I would sit out front of our house shelling oil nuts here with them. I learned why they wear Indian coins around their neck. All their savings are wrapped up in their jewelry. No banks here.


During this stay in the village, I came down with chickenpox, and a few weeks later so did both kids. Then Jonathan turned three and we had a party for him with the villagers. The next day I was bit by a poisonous spider. My journal says we thought it was a Black Widow and I had a severe reaction. God healed this within a day. I don't know why Jesus sometimes heals and sometimes withholds, but it is at Father's good pleasure. And I know He is good and loving.

Today I am having spine surgery on C1 and C2 so there won't be any new blog entries for awhile. I go into this surgery, the same as with all our medical needs of the past, in confidence of Him who called me and walks with me, side by Side. He does all things well.

No comments:

Post a Comment