Saturday, October 22, 2016

From the Sandpile Tribe to the Eat-You-Alive Tribe

I knew that Father was sending me from work with children (the Sandpile Tribe) into the university world (the Eat-You-Alive Tribe). He had called me to plant seeds of His kingdom in both students and my research. What I didn't know was how much it would cost and what kind of opposition would be coming from the Eat-You-Alive Tribe. In September, still full of joy and hope, I wrote that, “Tomorrow I will meet students for the first time. But so far, I am pleased and thankful. In fact, I’ve had more joy in the last few weeks than I can remember, in spite of exhaustion and two sick cars.”

As the school year got started, I continued to enjoy the University of South Alabama (USA) setting. I also met a new friend, another newly appointed teacher, but in special education. Her name was Marilyn Shank, and you’ll read more about our work together in future postings.

Then I began to receive acceptances for articles I had written about my dissertation research (ask and I'll send you some of the articles!). I was feeling somewhat confident in this new job, but wanted to improve where I could. So one day I asked my university students to do a mid-term evaluation of the classes and tell me what they thought could be improved. Afterwards I wrote, “I don’t believe I’ll ever do that with a class again.” In tears, I gave it all back to the Lord. Then, one by one, and sometimes in groups, these students began “coming daily to repent of their words in class.” Later I wrote there were “many opportunities to talk to students about the Lord and pray with them. Step by step.”

In addition to teaching at the university, I was also volunteering my time in the church's Covenant School, teaching Spanish and working with the teachers there. I also had the privilege of spending time in each classroom, helping teachers identify classroom and student goals. That was a joy.

Meanwhile Dow was teaching classes which helped provide perspective and hope for both Bill and I. We, along with Dow and Lois, became part of a home group led by Robert and Sue Grant, along with many other good people we came to dearly love.



During this time I began doing in-services in local public schools, looking more deeply at how children understood information in stories. I honestly don’t know how I kept up the pace of doing all these things apart from God’s grace and calling. Yet I wrote, “All my heart wants to do is put down roots, write, and be with kids." That's still true today.

Then “I had a dream in which something happened to me and I was at a point between life and death. And the Lord asked me, ‘But what would happen to all the books you are supposed to write?’ There was a tall stack of books, what looked like books for adults, sitting on the table and I knew I needed to write and not just research.” What this meant would soon be more fully understood.

At Christmas, the kids came home (they still do!) and that was so much fun, just being together, eating, watching movies like Princess Bride and Galaxy Quest, two of our all-time favorites, and just relaxing. We also spent one night at the State Lodge Beach. Then Bill’s Dad flew in to spend some time with us too. I love my family and treasure to this day every moment we spend together.

But as the spring semester began, and the pace picked up, I wondered if I really fit here. The faculty didn’t talk about kids or issues in children’s learning. Somehow I thought that was what faculty got to do. I thought that's why we were here and knew then that this would not be a permanent setting. Soon one of the other faculty began to show her hate for me in several different ways, including demeaning comments, and then one time taking it out on one of my student teachers. I wrote that, “Yesterday in church, Billy, Keith and Charles prayed for me with the word to ‘Be ruthlessly professional’ for the kingdom of God is within you." So in faith I continued the calling He had given.

During this time one of Father's special serendipities happened. Good friends from England, David and Rosie Freeman, came and we shared our hearts for kids and writing curriculum. It was so good to find a kindred people with common vision. I thought, "What a privilege it would be to work with people like that. Maybe I’ll go meet his people one day.” which I did and you'll read about soon. Below is a photo of David and Rosie in our dining room in Mobile, with kids Andrew and Helen, who now have kids of their own!.


My job at USA was a one-year appointment. Then I started getting job opportunities for the next year, one in Pensacola and another at Mobile University, asking for interviews. Then one made a job offer several thousand over what I was currently being paid. That was a hard decision. I shared it with my chair at USA and they matched the offer so I stayed a second year. With Bill's job pretty secure, and mine for another year, we decided it was time to buy a house of our own in Mobile. We found a lovely home on Shay Court.

The summer was great, because the kids came home for some of it, though busy with packing and moving houses ... again. The new house needed painting, new carpet and so much more. The summer was also great because we had an education conference for Christian educators from around the country. “Emmets from Boston stayed with us and that was joy and knitting of hearts. So many dear ones were here—Tim, Dwight, Mary, Li Pi. Some of my university students even came to listen and learn.”

Our next experience is just too funny. I completely forgot about this. I journaled during the summer of 1992 that we got a new car, “We now own a beautiful Bordeaux pearl red Honda Accord EXL. It’s the nicest car we’ve ever had and such a delight to drive.” It’s funny because 24 years later, just this month (October 2016), we bought a new Bordeaux pearl red Honda Accord, this time an EXLS-N. We had no memory of the earlier one until I started writing this blog post and found the details in my journal for 1992! I guess this must be our kind of car.


Because of my broken neck last year, the 2017 Honda has the features needed for me to drive more comfortably and safely, with backup camera, side-view mirrors with camera for the right and a powered passenger seat, among other things. Without the ability to turn my neck, it's hard to see what's behind or on the sides. With the spinal fusion, I will never again be able to turn my neck more than a total of 45 degrees ... on a good day. We are so grateful for this Honda provision from our Father.

Switching back to 1992 ... We bought the car and THEN, Then, then.....the new school year began with a BANG. First I was told my office was to be moved far away from the rest of the faculty. Then, without telling me, they moved my office, and everything in it.....I couldn't believe they would do this--very disconcerting and another opportunity to "give thanks in everything." Plus they gave me an office half the size as I’d had. I'd not expected to be treated this way. Clearly the wind had changed directions and was blowing against me.

So year two in Mobile was full of blessings and challenges for both Bill and me. First, Bill’s job, though secure, was not fulfilling or challenging. Yes, it was boring. So he began to look for how to get ready for what would be next. In addition to doing his masters program with Dow, he added graduate studies in computer science at the university. He wanted to see what Father would touch and make alive in His heart and mind. He took the GRE and “I asked the Lord to let Bill do exceptionally well—better than almost all others.” And he did! Of course, he won't tell you that. This eventually led to completing his first masters in computer science at USA.

Thankfully, much good was going on too. Our Covenant churches had their annual international Global Round table in Mobile and we had in our home “the privilege of hosting Eric Schenkel as well as Dow and Lois. I took Erick to the train station this morning. It’s a privilege to be with such people.” As it turned out, Dow’s job closed down at Liberty in Pensacola, and he and Lois moved over to Mobile. That was a huge blessing for us. So many good things were happening it was hard to put all the pieces together.

Then “I had a dream of impending war and physical disaster by the elements. Chaos was there.” It became clear my job would not be renewed because, they told me if they gave me a third year “it would have to become tenure track” and they weren’t ready to open a search for that kind of position. We had no idea how much Father was protecting us. Someone once coined this kind of experience as "God's disruptive goodness" and it's something that, over the years, we have come to treasure.

I survived the term and the kids came home for Christmas. Bill's Dad came too. After Christmas Bill and I took a memorable trip to DC with Jonathan, exploring the Smithsonian, sitting at the feet of Great Uncle Abe, and so much more. Photos of our favorite kids here.


We did a lot of travel. As it turned out, I had been invited to speak and share my research at several national literacy conferences during. All were well received, which led to more articles being accepted for publication in nationally recognized journals, and then more work in the local schools and time with kids which I always loved.

When summer of 1993 came, my sister and I made a trip to California to visit my mother sister, aging Aunt Hazel (84), who had given us much love and care over the years. We found her very frail with COPD and breast cancer. We were so glad to get to see her, and pray with her.  A special event was a trip to my mom's gravesite, where I am sitting in the photo below.We visited many friends in Santa Barbara, including the Bobgans, and then we went south and explored our roots growing up in La Crescenta.



OK, here's another perk for our time in Mobile. We were near enough to the beach to visit Gulf Shores often, stick my feet in the sand and water and swim when it was warm enough. I’ll always be a beach girl, though I love the mountains too.



One of the biggest blessings of our time in Mobile was the growing circle of friendships that He gave. As in Lexington, God gave me a group of women who gathered to pray for one another regularly: Sherry Rannells, Dianne Lawler, Sharrol Henley, Sue Grant, a few others, and me. These ladies are still dear to my heart today. It was so good to know He was meeting and sustaining each of us in many life changing situations through prayer for one another. What a privilege we had to encourage one another and to Seek First the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment