Monday, September 8, 2014

Two Attempted Escapes

Then there were the running away episodes. I’ve no idea how old I was the first time, but probably around four or five. My baby sister Nancy had been born. I loved her very much, but it was hard for me to take care of her when my mom wasn’t home. Also, I missed more days of kindergarten than I attended cuz somebody had to stay with Nancy when my mom wasn’t home. And I didn’t know what to do when she cried. One time when she was crying and crying, a neighbor came over and found that she had a diaper pin sticking her. How could I have known? SO I decided it would be better if I wasn’t there since I couldn’t do a very good job of taking care of my sister. AND I hurt when my dad and mom fought. Really hurt for all of us.

The first time I ran away, I found a brown grocery bag and packed a few clothes in it. No one was home and Nancy was sleeping. Now I closed the door behind me and started down the stairs. Remember there were three flights. Well, my mother happened to be coming up the stairs at the same time I was going down. So somewhere along the way, she found me and took hold of me, hugged me and asked me where I was going with my brown paper bag. I don’t remember what I said, just that I cried and she held me. Isn’t it amazing how moms can love there kids so much?

  The second time I ran away I didn’t take anything with me. It was night time and dark outside. I don’t know where Nancy was…. or my parents. I got all the way to the street. I don’t remember if I had any idea where I was going. Just away. When I began to cross the street, a car bumped me. It was a gentle bump, but I still fell over and skinned my knees, arms, and legs. The car didn’t stop. I cried and then decided it was better to go home. So I did. I’m not sure what I told my mom about the bloodied knees when she got home. Maybe I’d washed them up?  But again I believe that Jesus or one of his strong angels pulled me back from that car just enough to protect me from real harm and point me back to home and my loving mom who worked so hard to provide for us and take care of us.



I loved my mom.
She's the reason I kept coming back to the apartment.
This photo is me from graduating from the cradle roll.
It also shows the outside stairs for the apartment we lived in. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment