Saturday, October 25, 2014

Queenie's Death Sentence

With our own home, we were now able to get our own dog. The first dog we had we named Waggy, but for some reason he didn’t stay long. He was black and white and scruffy. The second dog we named Queenie, She was a large yellow lab mix, we think. We loved her dearly. We had her for many years. I remember when writing a story for my English class on "My Best Friend" that I chose to write about Queenie. I'm not sure what I said but the teacher chose it to display on the class bulletin board.

          One time Queenie gave birth to the nine puppies -- the ones you see in the photo below (I must have been about 14 years old cuz I still had two good legs). I was the midwife and got to be there and watch them all being born, including the last little runt that didn’t live longer than a few days. Queenie was a great mother too. She was awesome. We named her babies and the names are written on the back of this photo (my memory's not THAT good!): Stinky, Tiny, Princess, Mittens, Furocious, Lightning, Midnight, Skunky and Cutie Pie.



The hardest thing for Queenie, and us, was she had to be chained up while we were gone. In our yards there were no fences. The brick wall, behind me and the pups in the picture, was built up up to a long driveway that was parallel to our yard and house. The driveway, of course, belonged to the house next door......that happened to have a very small yappy dog. 

          This one small dog, NOT on a chain, was capable of tormenting Queenie with her incessant barking day after day. Well, sadly, one day Queenie got loose, broke her chain, and jumped up over the brick wall. She grabbed the small dog that had aggravated her for years and nearly killed it. We had to have Queenie put down after that….a very sad day for us all. We never got another dog after that. 


            I felt pretty angry inside about losing Queenie. It didn't seem fair that she had to die when the other dog had tormented her for so long. If only the other dog had been restrained, but it wasn't. If only Queenie's chain had been stronger, but it wasn't. As I look back and wonder what God was doing in my heart to prepare me to trust Him, I think I was beginning to learn that I couldn't live by "If onlys." I was soon going to learn to trust the God's "Only" Son.

             Queenie and her nine pups by Ethan Milo Lin:




No comments:

Post a Comment