Sunday, October 26, 2014

Ray Bradbury: Meeting a Famous Author Who Read My Story! Thank you, Miss Sargeant!

I had one amazing English teacher in junior high. Miss Sargeant taught me to love writing. She taught the class to write many different genres--even poetry! I was especially blessed because I had Miss Sargeant as a teacher for English in both 7th and 9th grades. I don't know if she hand-picked all of us for her 9th grade class, but I know she was God's provision in helping form my love for reading and writing today.

During 9th grade she told us we were going to have a contest to see who could write the most well-crafted and creative story. I wrote my story, and dramatized it, about the snake bite incident. I know it went through many revisions, and I was very proud of this long autobiographical novelette. I don't remember how many pages it was, but all our stories were like little novels to us who were just learning the craft.

She built up the contest and told us a famous mystery author would be reading the stories and giving a prize for the best one. Our stories went through many revisions and there was much excitement. While my story was not chosen, the fact that Ray Bradbury (her good friend!) had read my story and commented on it was awesome to know! Of course, I didn't appreciate who he was until much later.

We planned a big Author's Party (long before such an event was popular) and Ray Bradbury came and talked to us all about what it's like to be an author. Now I wish I remembered more about what he said about my story--and wish I still had my story. It was a wonderful party, though I have to confess I was disappointed that my story didn't win the award! But how thankful I am to have learned so much about writing at this early age.

Ray Bradbury's Biography

1950_Martian.jpg (420×706)      



No comments:

Post a Comment