Sunday, November 30, 2014

College Fun, Friends, and Father's Heart for Missions

When it was time for the next move, I was excited. The high school years of much change were behind me and I graduated in the top 10% of my class of 450. I even earned a partial scholarship to college. I decided at this point that I needed a lot more Bible training and so chose to go to Biola College (now Biola University). This meant many nomadic changes in the years ahead: from new dorm rooms and roommates to back and forth summer work placements and home surgeries and stays.

Everyone at Biola had to take one year of Bible classes (two full semesters) in addition to their four-year major. I majored in humanities, which included 18 units of literature, 6 of philosophy, and 6 of foreign language (I chose Spanish). I also took courses in elementary education, knowing early on that God had called me to work with children. At that time, education majors in California also had to complete another year post BA to obtain their teaching license. That's 4 years for a BA plus 1 year Bible classes plus 1 year for a teaching credential = 6 years altogether.

My classes were good, I just wish I'd had more time to study. Since I worked up to 30 hours a week, this was a challenge. But I especially enjoyed the year I took Greek, just for fun, and even today can make my way around a Koine New Testament. I graduated in 1967, but took the final credits for my teaching credential the next year. I received one of the last "LIFE" teaching credentials issued in California. They changed it to periodic renewals the very next month.

My first two years I lived in the dorms downtown in the top floors of the Church of the Open Door. I lived on the 12th floor. I traveled by bus at 5:30 a.m. each morning out to my classes on the campus in LaMirada. What great memories of times with friends on those buses!  My last two years I moved out to the LaMirada campus and new dorms. Isaac and Ethan have drawn the difference between the two for you!










Highlights of My Years at Biola

During my years at Biola, I met many new friends, some of whom are reading this blog today! Sometimes I went home on weekends, which was less than an hour away, and friends who lived out of state would come to stay and eat my mom’s good cooking. The photo of brothers David and Jim Christensen (Jim’s at my piano) was taken in my living room. The photo next to it is of some of my best friends in front of the downtown dorms. I'm to the back right of JK Adams, the guy in front. Lee Ann Wimer is to his left with her future husband Spence Wimer behind her. Spence and Lee Ann have been friends over the years. Others I recognize are Neal Anderson, Eddie Snyder, David Christensen, Roger, Sheryl, and Linda (whose last names I've forgotten).


Service Projects: Every year at we got to do a service activity. My first year I helped teach a Child Evangelism after-school-program.  My first year at Biola, I also worked as a counselor for the Billy Graham Crusade in downtown Los Angeles. I remember being up front and Billy Graham passing in front of me one time. I was blown away by the Presence of God he carried even then. Another year I was part of a downtown ministry to the homeless.

The third year I was the piano player for a male quartet and Sunday evenings we would go to different churches to sing. Here’s a picture of me and the guys! Ed Snyder, on the left, was the “Captain” of the quartet crew.



During my first year at Biola I also became a counselor for the Billy Graham Crusade in downtown Los Angeles. I remember being up front and Billy Graham passing in front of me one time. I was blown away by the Presence of God he carried even then.

By this time, I’d become a messenger about the love of the Father in Jesus to everyone I met. When I had more leg surgeries, I told roommates, nurses, and doctors. I told my Aunt and Uncle, who only chuckled at the time. But they listened more carefully than I knew. And of course I told my friends.

Throughout my years at Biola I kept being drawn to overseas missions. Often our chapel speakers were missionaries who told of how they loved and served people in other countries. I'd heard Father's heart for missions and I thought I’d love to go -- to any country but India. So basically I told the Lord to not send me anywhere but there!

Those of you who know the rest of the story now can chuckle since we ended up in Nepal, right above India on the map, and with very similar cultures and problems. Go check out the world map and see these two countries--and find Mt. Everest in Nepal too. But I had heard His call to missions. That was all I knew at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment