Monday, December 8, 2014

Working My Way through College and the Time I Almost Lost My Job

It’s never been cheap to go to college, especially if you live on campus. My mom helped out as best she could, but I had to work hard, sometimes 30 hours a week in addition to carrying a very full course load, with wonderful courses by amazing teachers. My work jobs were varied and included being an RA for several years. Another job was being the elevator operator for our downtown dorm (12 stories high). Back in those days, all elevators were operated by an employed person.

Fortunately I had some pretty interesting jobs and wonderful bosses. My first year, I worked in the children’s department of the Los Angeles Public Library, which was right next door to our dorms. I fell in love with children’s books, and the two amazing librarians there who nurtured that love. Mrs. Margaret Riddell became a friend for life.


The next year I worked at an insurance agency as a secretarial assistant to Mr. John Motley. He was a great boss. But I think I’ll tell you the time I nearly lost me my job. Normally my job was to file computer cards. Pretty dull and boring. Then his secretary went on vacation for two weeks at Christmas and he asked me to fill in full time. I was a good typist and dutifully typed up all I was asked to do. I enjoyed playing the part of being the “real” secretary.

But one day I noticed that a bill had not been paid and was way overdue. So I thought it would be helpful if I sent a reminder note to the man who had not paid his bill. Soon after, Mr. Motley called me into his office and asked me to sit down. He asked me if I had written and sent out this note. I explained my actions—that I wanted to help him. He told me I should never write and send a letter to a customer without his permission. I apologized, quite contritely.

Then he looked at me and started laughing. I was puzzled, as you might imagine. Then he told me he had wanted to write such a letter himself but didn’t have the courage! I don’t remember the outcome of the letter’s warning and if the bill got paid, but I’ll never forget the kindness of this boss.

With several jobs at one time, my GPA wasn’t stellar, but I did complete 6 years of coursework in 4 ½ years (including the two semesters that I also took Koine Greek (not in my major program) to learn to study the New Testament in one of the original languages (not to be outdone or an underachiever!). 

During my first year at Biola, 1963-1964, I had the privilege of being a counselor for the Billy Graham Crusade in downtown Los Angeles. I remember being up front and Billy Graham passing in front of me one time. I was blown away by the Presence of God he carried then.


Song from Biola Days:
I am not skilled to understand: I Am Not Skilled to Understand - original
Here's an update rendition (with Chinese translation: I Am Not Skilled to Understand

My life verse I chose during this time was Psalm 27:4 (KJV):  One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment