Sunday, September 6, 2015

6 Eventful Days: Kathmandu to Delhi to Oxford, England

The following was written from Oxford, England, while staying in the home of Ron and Sue Trudinger. Yes, this all really happened. I marvel at God’s faithfulness to each of us. You also may want to know that health care was free for us in England, so all that you are about to read cost us nothing ... except time for us and dear Sue Trudinger ... and gas to the hospitals.
July 23, 1976: It seems like a month since we left Nepal a few days ago. It was a good departure (July 20, 1976). I kept the tears til I got in the inspection booth—numb with pain by the time we boarded the plane. Nancy (Watters) too. We were silent companions, sharing together in His suffering, death and resurrection.
New Delhi was hot and the Diplomat hotel really took us and tried to way overcharge us. It was a bad night’s sleep too as I was afraid of missing the alarm and the plane.

We had good plane trips all the way, but a thorough investigation by passport and customs officials. I got singled out and they went through our suitcases. Finally it hit me and I asked with unbelief, “Are you looking for narcotics?” Indeed they were. It really kind of shook me when they said yes, especially after the long flight. I was so glad to see Sue waiting for us. She took us home and we all went to bed early.

I woke up at 3 a.m. and tried to find the bathroom but I missed the hall, tried to walk the stairway and fell and crashed into the opposite window ledge, crushing my rib cage. I felt sure they were broken. So much pain. I spent the next day at the hospital with X-rays and all they found was severe bruising (later I learned they were cracked, not broken). I can’t move too well, but feel healing is progressing too fast to be human.
 

Then this morning Jon was on one of their scooters and ran into their parked car, smashing into the top layer of teeth. When I got home at 4, his whole face was grossly swollen and already black and blue. So back to the hospital we went for X-rays and doctors and today a dental surgeon who says the teeth will soon turn black and fall out and the permanent teeth will probably be damaged and need later care (all of this was true later in Jonathan’s life). Nothing else can be done at this point. It hurts so to see him looking like he does and makes me a more tender parent anyway. Lord, for your healing I ask.

It seems like we almost lost our covering when we left Bill in Nepal. But we haven’t lost Jesus and I am casting my cares on Him. Help me, Lord. Ps. 93.
July 26: We’re a complete family. Jenny fell on a window ledge and banged her forehead now with a large black and blue lump. Jon came down with bronchitis and I’ve got him on penicillin tablets (I brought extra meds we had left over in Nepal). I couldn’t bring myself to ask Sue to take us to a doctor again. Jon is still black and blue, but the swelling is down. My chest still hurts, but is definitely on the mend.


We had good visits from both Molly Heath and dear friend Julie. (Both these ladies spent time with us in the village.) Blessed times of fellowship. We also had a good afternoon visit with Dr. Martin Gray, out walking in the English countryside, really lovely.

The service yesterday at church broke me down to tears—so many mixed emotions, such a heavy hurting burden and the Lord spoke over the confusion from Jacob’s life and the wrestling and broken ribs instead of thigh and the promise to us and me from Genesis 28:14-15. The Lord’s goodness is all over and yet I am so very tired.
This promise in Genesis 28:14-15 God has fulfilled through several visits back to Nepal, and by surrounding us with Nepali friends wherever we have lived: Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.

So many memories flooded our hearts and minds in the days following our departure, as in the pictures below. The drawing in the middle is of a Tharu woman. How grateful I am for how Father has cared for us and blessed us in so many ways at so many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment